- Hummingbirds are very acrobatic. They can fly forward, sideways, upside-down and backwards. They can also hover in mid-air.
- The hummingbird's favorite color is red.
- Hummingbirds have very weak feet and can barely walk, but they like to perch.
- A hummingbird can fly an average of 30 MPH and, in a dive, can reach speeds up to 60 MPH
- Hummingbirds are the smallest birds in the world. They take 250 breaths per minute when at rest. Their heart beats up to 1,260 times per minute.
- The hummingbird's average life span is 5 years.
- Hummingbirds eat insects -- they especially love spiders!
Posted in Backyard Birding